Established in 2013 by a small group in our church congregation who were concerned by Australia’s treatment of people seeking asylum in Australia, the Roseville Asylum Seeker and Refugee Support Group. We are a small, friendly group who are practically oriented.
Since 2013 we have:
- Raised over $17,000 for agencies supporting refugees and asylum seekers in Sydney including the Asylum Seekers Centre in Newtown, RACS and Uniting Care. We host an annual fundraising event usually in March of each year.
- Sponsored soccer teams, provided recreational items for unaccompanied minors, sponsored outings and provided educational support for asylum seekers.
- Hosted education sessions to ensure we stay abreast with the issues impacting asylum seekers and refugees.
- Attended protest rallies, Australia Welcome Walks and written letters to our MPs advocating for change.
- Collected gift cards for asylum seekers during Refugee Week and at Christmas to support them with daily living costs.
If you are interested in learning more about our campaigns and initiatives, or simply educating yourself more, join our Facebook group. This is a simple way to stay connected and to become involved as your time and life commitments allow.
All-year-round initiatives include:
- We collect groceries all year round and deliver them to the Asylum Seekers Centre as needed. If you would like to support this initiative check the church website for church office hours and a list of most need items.
- We also run lunch rosters to serve meals at the Asylum Seekers Centre – come as often as you can, join a cooking team and serve your meal from 11:30am-2pm in Newtown. If you would like to see how it works before you sign up, let us know. We welcome all helpers.
We are always happy to chat more about what we are doing and listen to new ideas.
For more information, contact Gwyn Denton